Exhibit - Innovation in Vermont
Vermont has always been a center of innovation and invention. Over the centuries, Vermonters have taken advantage of new technology, developed their own quirky individual solutions to problems, and participated in international conversations about solutions to seemingly intractable problems.
The wooden cylinder has a handle at one end and metal tines at the other that appears to have been made from a dining fork.
On one end, a vise with a wingnut screw holds the device to a flat surface such as a table or counter. On the side a wooden handle turns a large gear. That gear is connected via two more gears to a center column on a spring, with a horizontal blade at the end. It is also connected to a central shaft at the top of the parer with a three-pronged end.
On the base gear, from which the center column extends, is written “Patented – By H. Keyes June 17 & Dec. 16, 1856.”
When the handle is turned, it activates both the blade and the pronged end. An apple held on the pronged end would rotate around its core while the central blade would move to peel different parts of the apple on a cycle.
The box has a sliding cover and an indentation for the coin in the bottom.
The box sits in an outer metal case and is divided into two compartments. The narrower compartment on one side houses two offset metal gears connected to each other. The larger compartment houses six additional gears, also offset and connected to each other, three in a row. The gears are connected by two wooden center pieces that allow them to spin.
The wooden gears are also hand-numbered with various intervals specific to each gear.
The wooden stand is supported on four turned legs that are connected crosswise in the center. The globe can spin freely or be locked in place by making adjustments to the brass piece.
On the legend on the globe is printed the explanatory text: "A NEW / TERRESTRIAL GLOBE, / on which the / TRACTS and NEW DISCOVERIES / are laid down / from the Accurate Observations / made by / Cap.t. Cook, Furneux, Phipps & C. / By J. WILSON, VERMONT."
The main unit is black metal with an inside space for housing a roll of blank price tags. On the right side is a circular crank with a wooden knob. The type is inserted into a mechanism at the top, which contains rollers and an ink pad. The tags thread through to the front where they may be individually torn off. Along side this is a metal attachment which reads: "Insert ticket strip here and push to here" with an arrow indicating direction. The blank price tags are imprinted at the top: "The Homer Fitts Co./ Barre, Vermont". A circular metal green label with black printing is attached to the metal crank on the side and imprinted: "MONARCH PATHFINDER" with a lion's heads on each side, and printed in the center: "A Product of THE MONARCH/ Marking System Company/ Dayton, Ohio. L.A. Calif." This metal unit sits on a wooden base and has a metal label attached to front which reads: "THE/ MONARCH/ MARKING SYSTEM COMPANY" and gives factory locations, patent numbers and model number.
A drawer in the wooden base holds the metal letters and numbers.
There are two trays that rest on top of a base piece. The two trays hook together in the center. The left tray has some figured piping and the bottom of the pan is slats with gaps between them. It is divided horizontally into two parts. The right tray is divided horizontally into three parts, with a sealed base.
The base piece is supported by two legs on its left side and a rectangular base on its right side. On the left side, above the legs, it extends past the left tray and has a small oval opening. The base piece is formed generally into an arch. The left side of the base is a shallow pan, with a slant down to a deeper section that has slats at the bottom.
The entire model is metal, painted silver, and features the label “SOULES KING EVAPORATOR AND ARCH / Mfg By / GEO. H. SOULE CO. / St. Albans, Vt.
The model is of the chassis system of a sleigh only, constructed from metal and wood. The wood is painted blue. The sleigh rails are in two pieces, and the chassis can pivot at the center. The braking system can be activated from the middle of the chassis, and drops a metal hook down from the rear of the chassis to drag into the snow.
On a strip of wood at the front of the chassis is a small metal plaque with the inscription “B.F. WHEELER’S / PATENT JULY 21ST 1868”
The model is just the chassis and wheels of the carriage, in two pieces. The pieces are held together through a pin that connects the front axle to the body of the chassis.
The whole chassis is made of wood and metal, with four wheels, the front pair smaller than the rear. The braking system is activated when the carriage rolls backward, or by a hand brake that is connected to a lever at the left front of the chassis.
The brakes themselves are in front of the rear carriage wheels, held in place by a strip going horizontally across the width of the chassis. When the lever is activated, the wood strip slides backwards and engages the brakes.
The table has six legs, ornately turned, and connected by a central bracing system at the floor level. There are two plug outlets in two of the table legs. The table itself is shaped as a hexagon, with two long sides making it more oval-shaped. There is deep and elaborately decorated trim around the tabletop.
One side piece drops horizontally to expose a radio face with dials and band indicator. The trim and legs are painted black.
The tabletop is stained wood grain, and lifts up to expose the radio at the interior. The radio itself, an Atwater Kent Model 55C, takes up most of the interior space of the table. The radio is labeled Serial #4380032.
Wooden box painted green, gold, and black with a tin lined interior. On the outside of the box are elaborate painted decorations as well as the lettering “COOLEY CREAMER” at the top front in black letters shadowed with gold. On the front gold panels are the words “MANUF’D BY / VERMONT FARM MACHINE CO / BELLOWS FALLS, VT, U.S.A. / PATENTS ISSUED / FEB 10 1877, AUG 28 1877, JULY 17, 1883” There is also a metal slot on the top of the front panel above the words. The whole box is held off the ground by two pieces of wood on the bottom. On the right hand side is a crank connected to three gears as well as two additional levers.
On the underside of the lid, the words “INVENTED BY / WILLIAM COOLEY / OF WATERBURY, VT.” are painted in black. The lid is held open by two chains connecting diagonally to the box. Inside the box, four metal cylinders rest on a platform that raises or lowers with a system of gears. The cans have spigots and gauges and removable lids.
A piece of wood crosses the top of the bucket and pierces the birch bark at the top of the folds. Metal wire is attached to the piece of wood. The wire would have been hung on a wooden sap spile for collecting maple sap.
Central telescope attached to a central rod that can be turned by use of a wheel on one side. The rod is mounted on four metal legs that rest on a flat disc. On that disc are a two levels and a compass, all made of metal and glass.
On the compass is the inscription “BUFF & BUFF MFG CO / 31596 / BOSTON” as well as the directional indications for E, W, and S. There is no north, indicated instead by a stylized diamond and fleur-de-lis design with “BUFF” in the center.
The disc rests on more metal legs that rest on another disc, which is attached to a wooden base. All are adjustable so the central telescope can move in any possible direction. The wooden base rests on a wooden tripod.